Monday, May 4, 2009

To lend or not to lend?

Money.

Would you lend money to a really good friend?

Big amounts of it, mind you =_=

They say money and friends don't come together. Should I even risk it? @_@

***

I have a friend, *Kelly, who is facing a financial crisis. She sent me a message out of the blue, asking me to lend her RM200.

Now Kelly is a very good friend of mine. We were very close in school and she's one of the most important friends I have. She's helped me out of very tight situations, and she is, possibly, the only person around me who even bothered to save me whenever she saw me wandering off somewhere dangerous (literally =_=)

Now she needs my help, financially. I KNOW that 200 bucks isn't anything to some of you people out there, who spend that exact amount just on telephone bills (I would know! Dealing with all those payments =O=) But to this miserable schoolgirl who cannot even afford to buy new lingerie with her pitiful salary, RM200 is no small matter =_=

Of course, being the loyal friend that I am, I am willing to gouge out some cash from my bank balance just to help her get through this one crisis, knowing that this is probably the only thing I can do to repay her time she has given me in school. But knowing (and experienced) that friendships can be ruined in the blink of an eye because of money issues, I need to think, think, and think.

What if, she was unable to return the money I might be lending her? Wouldn't our valuable friendship be jeopardized as I constantly chase her around for what is rightfully mine? And if I refuse to aid her, what would be playing in her mind? I was trusted out of all her circle of friends, and yet I would not take a penny out for her.

I can, no matter how much people refuse to believe it, put myself in other people's shoes and think what I would feel when someone I trusted refused to help me when I am helpless =_= I'd feel totally let down and disappointed. And my perception of that person will never be the same again @_@

Baby asked me once, "If I am paralysed from neck down, will you still love me and look after me?"

To which I answered, "I cannot give you an answer to that question now...You know that don't you?"

Bloody hell. I don't even want to begin to know how it feels like if we had exchanged positions and he said that to me. Not that I can't =_=

Anyway! My point is, should I, or should I not lend her RM200? If I were to lend it to her, it would do me best not to expect her to return the money, because if I do, arguments will surely break out, if she fails to do so.

If I refuse, then I will be expecting our friendship to take a turn for the worse =(

Aih..........Decisions decisions............



*Names have been changed to protect said close friend.

3 Comments:

Firesky said...

=______= RM200 not RM2000 =____=
How long are you going to keep in contact with her? If you aren't going to see her in a looong time then you should just tell her that you're having a financial crisis as well and maybe lend her about RM50-100. If you're confident that you'll keep in touch for years to come then I suppose it's okay to lend her that RM200, because honestly RM200 isn't asking for much. If she doesn't pay you back then just take it as a token of goodwill/charity work hoho. The most important question to ask yourself, though, is if she is someone you can trust. That's what I'd do anyway.

PrincessAnnA said...

if it were me....
if that friend is like helped me during crisis... whether she pay me bak the 200 or not doesn't matter, coz come rainy day, perhaps she will help me back...

and its not like its 20K or 2 million,billion,gazillion(hehe my own money term).... :p

i wouldn't mind helping, coz thye alwiz say, one good deed changes a person's life.

and i kinda live by that.

Anonymous said...

She's talking about me. T_T You should have named Kelly, Emily you know? ;(

LOL *slapped*

p/s: Lina here just messing with ya :P
Honestly 200 bucks, if she wants to con you 200 bucks, I rather don't want this kind of friend =)