Saturday, June 13, 2009

More on Smoking

As I expected, someone is angered that I criticise smokers.

Okay to be honest I am not used to backlash. When I read her ridiculously long entry I am shaking from head to foot, whether from hunger or fury I cannot tell. All I know was that I cannot keep a straight face while talking to customers. I cannot smile properly at them and I think it probably looks more like a grimace.

I sat at the office thinking about it all. I took my time. I read her post again. I leaned back and think. Again.

Should I retort? This is exactly what I expected from her. Had there been no reaction from her part, I would have been fairly surprised. Still, it wasn't exactly pleasant.

Oh well never mind. I hit the "Publish Post" button knowing this will happen. I just have to suck it up.

There'll probably be more of this in the future anyway. And Baby said that a true writer should know, and be prepared for all of this.

Oh by the way did I tell you all that I am extremely proud of myself when I read the previous post and saw that I did not swear at all? XDXDXDXD Because Eve was right. Swearing your head off is soooo mature XD

Beyond THIS line is also a direct reply to AnnHime
*********************************************

I never imagined that I would live to see someone justify smoking. Duh? Who doesn't know smoking relieves stress? One of the easiest ways to relax and destress is by lighting up your cigarettes. I ask this though. Is there no other way?

Is there no other way to destress other than smoking which even 3-year-olds know would be bad for you? Is there no other way to take your mind off problems? Other than breathing in nicotine? Exercise maybe? Indulge in some of your favourite gourmet cuisines? Read a good book? Play games maybe? Anything?

Yet you choose to damage your health. Oh *slaps forehead* I forgot. It's your choice.

But then again. You are wrong. You are soooooooo wrong. Everyone who smokes is going to say the same? Did you think everyone thinks like you do? I asked around because I know everyone's different. I have already talked to people who intend to stop, only they are taking baby steps.

You asked if I am a social worker. No I am not. You asked if I am Mother Theresa. And I don't understand why you highlight that one. Should I even answer that? Like Duh? My name isn't even Theresa. If I said yes what would you do? Laugh right in my face, or in this case, right at your computer table.

Did I even mention that I am trying to change anyone? I merely asked James why he didn't quit. I am not in any way related to James. He will not listen to me. Nor will all the smokers who I barely knew. I GET IT.

Oh but I must agree with you though. After tonnes of thinking, I have concluded that yes, you were right. If I caught my boyfriend smoking, I will scold him, make him stop, force him to stop, and if he still insists on smoking, I will leave him.

Only I find it troublesome to explain that much at the time, because in the end I will still leave him if he doesn't quit.

What was that? If I seriously love him I will sacrifice myself and BE a second-hand smoker? Or start smoking myself?

SORRY. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

I am NOT like you. My life does NOT revolve around love and love alone. If my guy insists on smoking I will NOT put up with it. I may love him madly deeply passionately but if he expects me to smoke or breathe in all his second-hand smoke then he obviously does NOT love me enough to think what harm he is doing to me.

Oops. I just said it. Alright I'll let you sit back and watch if my Baby ever starts smoking *winks*

That being said then why should I stay by him and "quietly accept anything and whatever he is made of"? BULLSHIT. I am not giving up my health and my life for a man who thinks only for himself. I do not live my life for a man.

Unless of course he is terribly rich or terribly handsome or if he is going to inherit America then yes I will understand the sacrifice. But then again, that's for money, not love.

I will like to make it clear though. As long as a person who smokes does his or her business away from everybody else and get rid of that smell (spray on perfume or cologne or bathe or whatever) afterwards, I would have said nothing. But no! They don't! They smoke around others or return from their business smelling absolutely gross and expect people to put up with it.

I have another question.

I made a choice not to smoke.

You made the choice to do vice versa.

You head out to smoke, come back smelling of smoke. I don't want to breathe in that stench.

So who's supposed to get their choice???

You go and "destress", and I don't breathe? Or I breathe and you don't smoke? Or smoke when you go home.

*****************************************

UPDATE

Okay I am getting sick of this. No more smoke-posts until I find any reason to complain again. My next post will be about white fluffy bunnies hopping in the woods.

I said it before and I will say it again. Everyone is different. Your perception of TRUE love, seems to me to be sacrificial love, where one party will sacrifice everything for the other half. While the other half continues happily doing whatever he or she is doing.

I am not saying that love does not need sacrifice. I, too, have sacrificed things to keep my relationship strong. My beauty sleep, for instance. But I suppose that's a trivial sacrifice compared to what soooooooo many other girls have done =_=

To me, though, a relationship is supposed to make me (and the other person) happy, and if the sacrifice I need to make to keep it going spins in an unreasonable direction I will choose not to pay the price.

Back to smoking. I think I'm not making myself clear enough. I am not saying I hate ALL smokers. I am talking about those who expects other healthy people to breathe in their second-hand smoke and those who don't care that they are friggin smelly after they smoke, even if they don't do it around healthy citizens.

We non-smokers just do not like the smell. It's almost like breathing in second-hand smoke already.

That's all. Really. I am not one to go around forcing random people who I barely know to stop smoking, but I am, I guess, allowed to say that it is not pleasant having someone around smelling of tobacco. Yes even if that person is my friend.

I promise no more smoke-related topics after this. And I will not read any -smoker's- blog until the month is up.

3 Comments:

Leonard said...

...touchy entry. Still i admire your principal in not smoking. Hopefully your boyfriend doesn't do that la ! :D Keep it up girl. Lately the government has been trying to drill some sense into people by putting all those gross/disgusting pictures of dead babies... black lungs... and all the yucky things u can imagine smoking brings. But than... ah well..guess some people just won't stop. :D So it's not your right to correct them anyway but to gently warn them. Leave the correcting to themselves. Now....plz blog about something other than any nicotine product related issues. :D Juz kidding. Happy Blogging.

Brendan Goh said...

I absolutely hate smoking.
Stress, so called friends with poor english think that you are attacking them at your blog and stupid lazy teammates who abandon you to finish your marketing report and presentation, only to be horribly scrutinized by your marketing lecturer is enough to get me

brain cancer
heart attack
high blood pressure
emphysema
depression
drug addiction (due to all the anti depressants)
and
bipolar disorder

Ann-Marieee said...

Your blog takes too long to load lmaos. can't even get the chatbox thingy =( oh LOL anyways, admire your courage, or shall I say balls for saying it, right to her face, uh computer screen. LOL