Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mini Story #1

Different Competitor

Life's so uninteresting, I thought at that time, while walking towards my school from the bus stop. Every single day, I repeat the same routine, no, process, like a robot. I wake up, wash, take breakfast, take the same bus to college. Classes are so damn boring, I can't even find an excuse saying that my choice in the beginning was right. I could back out now if I want to, it's only the first semester. Only thing is, there goes 500 bucks wasted.

Now that I think about it, the problem didn't even start then. It must have been there a long time, only I didn't have the courage to face it.

Darn you, Samantha.

I reached the school gates then, and waiting for me there was my four-year boyfriend, Justin. He flashed me a smile, but at that moment I just couldn't find it in myself to return it.

"What's up, Sammy?" Justin had asked me, his tone full of concern. I didn't even bother to answer. I hung my head and continued walking towards my class, like he wasn't there.
Justin knew that was a sign I will not talk until needed.

"I'll call you after class, okay?" he called to my back. I continued walking.

I was mean, I knew that. But that's me. I did not pick up the phone when Justin called, and he knew what should happen after that. I did not see him again the whole day through.

For the next few weeks, the same thing happened. We've been going on and off for the past two years. It did not take long for another ridiculous quarrel to take place, and it's ridiculous because we were fighting over a TV show. We were
fighting, seriously.

For the umpteenth time, we drifted apart again, and we lost contact for the next two weeks.

I couldn't believe what happened next.

I didn't realise anything was going on before my classmate, Chloe told me. There was a new boy in Justin's class, a timid boy, whom all the ladies considered
cute. According to Chloe, he's a pretty boy, whose signature colour was soft pink. And apparently, Justin's been spending loads of time with him.

I went to look for Justin in the cafeteria the very same day. I didn't think anything fishy was going on at the moment. For God's sake, I've been with Justin for four years now. There's no way some
boy can come between us just like that. I was confident about that.

How very wrong I was.

I went to the cafeteria only to find them closely seated together. A very unusual state of closeness for guy buddies. I didn't even realise I was gaping. Then I shook myself.

They could be science partners, I told myself then. But the minute I took a second glance, I found myself struggling again. Science partners do not have to sit that closely with each other. They do not talk in whispers. I left without talking to Justin at all.

Slowly, things began to get out of hand. When I called Justin, he was always busy. He did not reply my text messages. He did not wait for me at the school gates. He did not call me anymore.

I was frustrated. One month later, I decided to confront him. I asked him out to meet me at our favourite cafe, where we would "talk things over".

Thank goodness he came alone.

"What is it, Sammy?" he asked right after he sat down. "I can't stay long. I'm kinda busy today."

"With what, Justin? Science project? Or a movie with Eddy?" I was sarcastic. Justin fell silent, gazing at me solemnly.

"I'm glad you called me out, Sammy. We need to talk." he finally said, taking a sip of water. I waited.

"Things are going wrong between us, Sammy. I feel like you're taking me too much for granted. I cared about you, but you ignored me like it was something natural. Do you know how I felt at that moment?"

"So you went to Eddy for comfort?" I demanded. Justin looked frustrated.

"We were just friends."

"Were? So are you something more now?"

Justin looked up at me, his eyes telling a story. I was dumbfounded. I knew what he was going to say.

"I need a break, Sammy. Let's just call it quits. I...don't think I want this anymore."

I was upset. VERY upset. "Are you dumping me, Justin? For a guy? Do you have any idea what you are doing???"

"I am very clear-headed right now, Sammy." Justin said, standing up. "I'm sorry, but I can't take it anymore." And he left.

I sat where I was, stunned. For the next few weeks, I tried to talk to him, hoping that he would change his mind. But it was useless. He went as far as to hold hands with the other guy in public. It was then that I knew that he was really serious.

Now when I think back. I was the one who was always causing trouble between us. Justin was eternally patient whenever I lost my temper. Always, he counsels me when I was facing a problem, and always, I would vent my anger on him like he was born to be treated that way. I was stupid to think that a relationship like this would last. I was so dumb to think that he would take it forever.

Justin was right. I took him too much for granted.

I haven't heard from Justin for quite a few months now, nor did I see him in college. To my own surprise, it did not take long for me to get over that break-up. I go through my daily routine as I used to, nothing changed, except for the fact that no one will be waiting for me at the gates anymore.

One day, I took a bus to go to the National Museum for a historic convention, and on the bus were Justin and his boyfriend, Eddy. Their relationship was already in the open by then, and the news had been flying around campus that Justin Chew and Eddy Ong were gay partners. Most of my friends had asked me how I felt, about my boyfriend leaving me for another guy.

I told them that I am happy for both of them.

I knew Justin. He has never been afraid to be himself. Perhaps he didn't know that he was bisexual himself when we were going out, or perhaps he's not even bisexual, but a homosexual. This experience had told him what his true preferences are, and he's not afraid to let people know. He's not afraid to be himself, and never will be.

Eddy was asleep on Justin's shoulder. He was, as they say, a pretty boy, fair with eyelashes that will kill jealous women. Justin looked up from his book as I neared his seat, stared, and then flashed me one of his charming smiles. This time, I remembered to smile back. I took a seat at the back of the bus.

They have their rights.
They shouldn't be discriminated.
They shouldn't be denied the chance to be together.
They deserve respect, too. The respect for their feelings.

Gay men aren't bad at all......

~Dedicated to all men and women who are judged solely because of who they love.~

Author's note: This is my first time writing a boy love story. Please forgive my redundancy, and I will surely welcome any feedback at all ^o^ Thank you~

6 Comments:

Firesky said...

First off... YOU AHOLE YOU MESSAGED ME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT WHEN I WAS HALF ASLEEP! DO YOU KNOW HOW BLOODY HARD IT WAS FOR ME TO GET BACK TO SLEEP?! Secondly... hogay BL story... interesting... Thirdly, Justin =o= And I was totally O.O -_- when they turned out to be Chinese =o= I imagined they were Westerners or something wtc. But anygay yah not bad <3

Yumimi said...

Thank you very much ^o^ I didn't use westerners because they are pretty much open-minded enough not to mind gay partners ^^ So there XD

Firesky said...

How sure are you westerners are open-minded enough not to mind gay partners? There is still ALOT of discrimination towards gay people in practically EVERY part of the world, sadly enough. And don't retort by saying they are -more- open minded. Seriously, homosexuals are being dissed like crap there too. Just an opinion.

Yumimi said...

Actually I realised that too X_X fine then it just didn't occur to me to use westerners. It was 11 n by the time I finished it was already 12++ @_@ n I can't just let it hang there and think over details, I need sleep too u noe =_= I only typed it out cuz I noe I don have time the next day =o=

danchan said...

a good story indeed...
firesky will definitely enjoy it for its theme...
u also have the writer's bug in you
keep on writing and you will achieve that dream of yours...
how come "romance...love" is in the air or shd i say in the blogs suddenly?

Yumimi said...

Thank you very much XDDDD bcoz Firesky copy me ma XP no la jz kidding [she'll stone me later O_O]